Collection & Schedule
The District of Stewart Garbage Bylaw:
The District of Stewart provides weekly curbside garbage collection.
Garbage pick-up schedule is:
- Residential: Wednesdays
- Businesses: Mondays & Fridays
- Dumpsters: Regularly (daily in the summer)
As pick-up times may vary on the scheduled pick-up day, materials must be placed at the curb before 8:00 a.m.
Garbage collection day pick-up tips:
- Put your garbage out by 8 a.m. on your collection day.
- Put your garbage at the curb or lane in a spot that is easy for the collectors to see and reach.
- Each filled garbage can should be light enough to carry easily with one hand to the curb or lane.
- Do not overfill garbage containers with heavy material
- Leave 15 to 20 centimetres (6 to 8 inches) of bag above the twist tie so that the collectors can get a firm hold on the bag.
- Clear a path through to your collection area. Shovel any ice and snow so that collectors can see and get to your garbage and recyclable materials.
- Keep parked vehicles away from your collection area on collection day.
- Do not put bags and cans on top of snow banks, as the constant lifting above shoulder level can injure collection crews.
- Bag and tie all grass clippings and yard waste – or better still, try composting them.
- If you use grocery bags or other small kitchen-sized bags for your garbage, put them in larger sealed garbage cans.
- Load garbage cans loosely. Items jammed or wedged tightly into cans, such as boxes and branches, can make the cans difficult to empty, and may damage them.
- Place all loose garbage, such as sawdust, ashes and vacuum contents, in sealed bags. Loose garbage can blow out of the truck into the collectors' eyes and litter neighbourhoods.
- Put all sharp objects, such as needles, broken glass, and nails, in puncture-proof containers.
- Do not put out bulky waste for regular garbage collection.
If your collection day has passed and your garbage has not been collected please, give a call to our Public Works Department at 250-636-2742
Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 1:00pm to 3:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am to 4:00pm