A Building Permit is required when you:
- construct a new building.
- add to an existing building.
- change the occupancy of an existing building, i.e. from office to retail.
- make interior renovations that may impact the direction of travel to an exit.
- repair a building envelope.
- demolish or move a building.
- enclose your carport or change your garage to living space.
- add or relocate plumbing, fire alarm or fire sprinklers.
- pave a parking area where a storm drainage system is required.
- finish an existing basement.
- install a swimming pool.
- locate or add to a mobile home.
- locate a temporary building.
New regulations for BC Building Code, BC Plumbing Code and BC Fire Code are effective December 20, 2012.
How to obtain a permit:
- For information on building regulations for each zone, read our Zoning Bylaw 881, 2014.
- Read Bylaw 843, 2010 and complete the new form located at this link: Building Permit Application Form.
- Once the form is completed, it can be emailed to the District office at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or delivered in person to 705 Brightwell Street.
- Upon approval by the CAO, a building permit will be produced and can be picked up at the District office.